Tuesday 18 May 2010

Today is Special because the bluebells are out


I was driving towards Marlow on a familiar route and then found myself gasping as I saw a mass of blue in the woods that are normally brown. It really was a carpet. I couldn't see where it ended.

In true Wm. Henry Davies style, based on his poem "Leisure", I stood and stared...

"... What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare..."

4 comments:

  1. How lovely! I could stay there for hours in absolute serenity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful bluebells - truly a stunning carpet of fresh loveliness!
    I've not visited any bluebell woods yet this year and feel I really must change that soon.
    Thank you for the poem too - some days we need a reminder to stop and experience the world,
    happy days to you,
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bluebells are beautiful, the poem is lovely=a wonderful post combination!...Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bluebells are my absolute favourite flowers. I love their beauty. But they are also a source of sorrow for me. I used to walk through the bluebell woods at Earlswood, with my dearest best friend and her dogs. We were friends for all our adult lives until she died at age 47 from cancer. I still like to see bluebells but now I cannot look at them without a tear in my eye. She died 18 years ago ~ and it is still like it was only yesterday.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, it is lovely that you have found our blog. Leave a message and we will pop over to visit you too...